Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Grocery Store and boredom

Renee: Yesterday I went to the grocery store alone. My first outing alone and after four full days of not leaving the walking vacinity of the apartment. We had already figured out the bus route needed so that part was easy. Once I got there I realized I forgot my giant Ikea bag... that won't happen again. Not having a car has made many things more complicated. I was debating about getting a shopping cart because they charge £1 to use one.... crazy I know! This store is making hundreds a day on people using shopping carts! Well I can't do that because I don't even have a pound with me. So I carry a basket (these are free) and load up as much as I can. Surprisingly the food here is even more different than I expected. They do have most things but I expected there to be more of the brands I recognize. Now for future reference for those you ever come to England.... sign the back of your credit/debit cards! Aannd if you do make sure that the signature is the same as the one you put on the receipt. I did not have a signature on my debit card because it always rubs off anyway so the checkout girl had to call over a manager to see if they would allow comparing with the signature on my Texas ID.... he looked and was perplexed so scuttled off to talk to his manager.... Now he's running around the store with my receipt, ID, and debit card. Awesome. He comes back and tells me that the signatures are not alike... disregarding that the name on the ID and the card are the same along with MY photo. So now all I can do (luckily there was something) is go outside and get cash and pay at the customer service counter. All in all at least I got to go somewhere for a while!

Travis has gotten a Travelcard for unlimited travel for a week but we are holding off on me getting anything until I have a job because its not really worth the expense. Every bus ride is £2 and most train rides are between £3 and £6. Day Travelcards to get between home and Kingston are about £5 so definitely worth getting considering we take a bus to the train station and then back. Anyway so basically I don't get out much.... There is a library around the corner that I can spend on hour on a computer so that is nice for staying connected to home. Then I found a park within walking distance that is pretty. So far I have also drawn, read a couple books, played cards, listened to music, rented a couple movies, cleaned, and stared at the wall. Any suggestions on what else can be done at home? I fun, easy, cheap hobby? I'm pretty open to suggestions...

Hopefully I will get a job soon :)

No comments:

Post a Comment